Getting Ready to Ride in the Green Cruise


   Al and I are getting ready for the Michigan “Green Cruise” coming up on August 11. This is similar to the famous Dream Cruise down Woodward Avenue the following week. The Green Cruise though will be done by motorless vehicles whereas the Dream Cruise is made up of fancy show cars and former “muscle cars.”
   We rode our bikes around the twenty-two mile loop on Saturday. It was quite a stretch for me! But rather than dwelling on the number of times the wheels went around or the fatigue in my legs, I decided to keep my mind busy by reflecting on the 23rd Psalm, taking one word at a time and then thinking about whole phrases.
   “The...” well, I didn’t spend a lot of time on that word except noting that it set the stage for the next one: “The Lord...” That caught my attention from the outset. “Is”…The Lord is! He exists, is real...“I AM!”
   “My” implies a sense of ownership, a relationship. My what? “The Lord is my shepherd!” If he’s my shepherd, I must be one of his sheep, part of his flock. He belongs to me and I belong to him.
   And what does a shepherd do? First of all, he takes care of his sheep. “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.” That includes having the strength to complete the whole twenty-two miles! The Lord, my shepherd, also makes me lie down in a place of abundance, in green pastures. Well he doesn’t have to force me—I am already hungry and tired!
   What else does he do for his sheep? Leads me to quiet waters, good drinking holes! And "He restores my soul." So what does that mean? Any anxiety or fear is removed by his love and care. Inner strength is needed for this cruise as well as physical strength. Only the good shepherd can restore and revive me.
   Even in the most extreme of circumstances, like walking through the valley of the shadow of death, I don’t have to be afraid because He is with me. His rod and staff aren’t lying on the ground, they are in his hand ready to be used for my protection. I know that this is true deep in my heart, having experienced it many times. He will protect me; but I still must be careful and not take foolish chances.
   The idea that the shepherd never abandons his flock and only wants what is good for his sheep echos in my mind. He doesn’t worry about enemies, preparing a wonderful ‘table’ for me even when they are around. After all, the Lord has conquered the greatest enemy, death!
   He also anoints my head with oil. With such love and grace poured out, my heart is full, my cup overflows. “Surely”…I know for sure that “goodness and love will follow me...” Does my shepherd, who is loving and good sometimes go behind me? Or does this mean that because of my relationship with him those qualities will be manifested in my life and will be a blessing to others. I hope so!
   “All of the days of my life”...well, I don’t know how many days I have left, but “all” means every single one of them. And then what? Then comes the promise that my good shepherd will take me to his house. Wow! The sheep gets to live in the shepherd’s house with his family. “And I will dwell in the house of the Lord...” I am looking forward to that time. “Forever!” What a way to end this psalm! Such hope and assurance for the future.
   The miles slipped by while I was engrossed in these six verses, at the same time being alert to my surroundings. I felt the Lord’s presence and peace, thankful at the end that I was able to make the whole route. Al was very supportive and encouraging. Sometimes it takes other sheep in the flock to provide the encouragement we need!
   Now that I know I can make the distance, the question is whether or not I can keep up with the group. Al reminds me that he’ll ride with me and that we know the way! Whatever the outcome of the bike ride on Saturday, I will go forth with the Lord as my shepherd. It is good to be one of his flock!
(Psalm 23: 1-6 from NIV Bible with paraphrasing)




Comments

Popular Posts