Searching for the Perfect Gift



“Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!” *

Have you ever wondered how the tradition of giving gifts at Christmas started? From an ancient winter celebration of one of the Roman gods? Or maybe from the gifts brought by the Magi who traveled from the east to Jerusalem on a search for the long-awaited King of the Jews? Perhaps the stories of the gift giving by Saint Nicholas, who lived around 300 A.D influenced that custom.

 Thinking of others and of ways to bless them is a very good practice indeed! The following story by Ryan Ridenour relates to this Christmas tradition. Ryan has worked with young people in the Porterville area for many years as Youth Director at Grand Avenue Methodist Church and a leader of the Teach One, Lead One program for those kids who are “at risk.” He is also a great role model and mentor.

Recently, Ryan and his wife Amanda welcomed a daughter, Presleigh Jean, into their family. It was very generous of him to grant me permission to share his story from the “Messenger” newsletter.  I know it will resonate with you as it did with me.

*************************************************************

 

“We have officially entered my favorite time of the year where we are blessed to gather with family, friends, and our congregations to celebrate together the birth of Jesus Christ and be reminded of the blessings that poured forth with his coming into the world. I honestly look forward to Christmas with much anticipation each year. I get excited to see loved ones, participate in the candlelight service, and bless people in my life with special gifts that create beautiful memories.

This year is slightly different, or hugely different, depending on how you look at it, from all the other Christmas experiences I have had. This year my daughter will get to celebrate Christmas for the very first time. I am eager to celebrate this holiday with her and her mother partaking in decorating our home and Christmas tree while listening to Christmas songs. I look forward to giving her wrapped presents and letting her open the gifts to see what’s inside.

The question I have been asking myself recently is this: what do I buy a one-year-old for Christmas? Surely, I want the gift to be something she will really enjoy, something that she will hold dear and be excited to share with others when given the chance. I want the gift to be perfect. But does the perfect gift even exist?

 I thought long and hard and worked diligently trying to find the perfect gift. I looked on Amazon, cruised through Target, dared the journey through Walmart, but discovered that all material goods didn’t meet my requirements for the perfect gift. I sat back after the expedition in gift finding, closed my eyes, and it hit me.

Yes, the perfect gift does exist. In fact, the perfect gift has been available for over 2000 years. This gift is unique in the way it has been given. Everyone is free to have the gift and the benefits of the gift continue throughout all eternity.

The perfect gift I can give to my daughter or to anyone is sharing Jesus with them in all facets. Jesus gives, blesses, loves, forgives, shows grace, heals and laid down his own life for each of us. Yes, I believe I found the perfect gift.

So, how do you give a one-year-old Jesus for Christmas? I thought about this too. I believe you love them as Christ loves us, being patient as they learn new ways of life, continuously sharing Jesus with them through word and deed, reading them Bible stories and praying with them. Also, the love we give to our spouses, family, friends, neighbors, and strangers all reflect Jesus in many ways.

Growing up, I was blessed to have Jesus be a gift shared with me by my parents and I will do the same with my daughter. I encourage each of you to reach out to someone in your life who needs the gift of Jesus and share him with them. Jesus is truly the perfect gift!”

Ryan Ridenour (from December 2021 edition of the “Messenger” newsletter, used by permission.)

 *2 Corinthians 9:15 NIV


 

Comments

Popular Posts