A Dream, A Star and Unfailing Hope

 


“After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, ‘Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him.’”*

 Early one morning, I had an unusual dream about a young woman who has occupied my thoughts and prayers for years, but whom I have never met in person. The setting of the dream was a conference that Al and I were attending.

We had arrived late and were hurrying to get to a meeting. Just before leaving our accommodations, we met two women, one of whom was named “Loki.”

That stunned me. Loki was the nickname of the daughter of my dear friend, Linda Farrow. When I asked the young woman if she was Hawaiian, she replied that she was, sounding mystified.

“It’s a miracle!” I said excitedly. “Don’t go anywhere. I’ll talk to you when we get back from the meeting.” And then I woke up…

In the mid 1970’s, Linda Farrow and I formed a strong friendship through involvement in the church we had each attended as children in Bakersfield, California. She and I prayed often for each other: for her healing from the bipolar disorder that disrupted her life and for my finding the right man to marry.

We were both overjoyed when the Lord brought Al into my life in 1982. Linda, along with my two sisters and sister-in-law was one of my bridesmaids. It was an answer to prayer for me; but Linda continued to struggle with bipolar episodes.

After Al and I were married, I moved from Bakersfield to Porterville where he lived and taught school. Al’s ten-year old daughter, Shanda, also resided in Porterville with her mother and step-father.

Linda and I kept in contact mainly over the phone. There was one long stretch when we lost touch completely though. It was a great relief when she finally called. However, she was in a dire situation after moving away from Bakersfield to Hawaii during a manic period.

While on the beach one night, Linda was attacked at knife point. She told me that she didn’t fight her assailant, but found out later that she was pregnant as a result of that assault. She chose not to abort the baby, but rather anticipated the birth with great joy.

Linda was able to get an apartment where she cared for her new daughter, Lokika.  When Loki was nearly a year old, Linda left her in a baby carrier at the bus station. The baby was quickly found and turned over to the Child Protective Services.

After much agonizing and prayer, Linda decided to give Loki up for adoption. It was a heartbreaking decision. A missionary couple from Oahu adopted her and raised her in Hawaii.  Linda never saw her baby again.

            When Linda died in 1999, I decided to try to locate her daughter and have been searching ever since. There are pictures and stories to share with Loki, stories of Linda’s courage, her infectious faith and devotion to prayer in spite of all of the obstacles in her life.

My dream has given me renewed hope and a desire to keep on with the search. It will truly be a miracle if and when we meet each other.

 The Magi from the east were led to search for a future ruler of the Jews by the sighting of an unusual star. Perhaps they were familiar with the writings of an ancient seer like Balaam who prophesied, “I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near. A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel.” (Numbers 24: 17a)

When they met with King Herod in Jerusalem, they were directed to Bethlehem, the birth place of the coming Messiah according to Scripture. What joy the Magi felt when the star reappeared, guiding them to the place where Mary and Joseph were staying with the baby Jesus.

They were warned in a dream not to return to Herod but to go home by a different route. Finding Jesus was indeed a miracle, the reward of their perseverance and their faith.  

May those of us who pursue a dream or seek a deeper relationship with God have hope. He will show us the way and help us persevere until we receive our miracle. “…With God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26b NIV)

*Matthew 2: 1-2 NIV

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts