One Stitch at a Time

“O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.”

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” *

When my step-daughter, Shanda, was expecting her first baby, I had the strongest urge to start knitting baby clothes and blankets.  There was just one major obstacle blocking the way—not knowing how to knit!

I mentioned my predicament to a friend at church who was an excellent knitter. My friend, Hope, volunteered to teach me and suggested forming a knitting circle. That sounded like a wonderful idea!

Hope made up a kit for me with all of the supplies needed, and a simple instruction book  to help me get started on my own. I didn’t get anywhere with just the book for guidance though.  Help, Hope!

Six of us showed up to the first meeting of our circle. Some experienced were but others just learning, like myself. Hope displayed several samples of beautiful garments that she had made, including a soft baby blanket.

We had been told beforehand that we would all work on a scarf first. It would just require one basic stitch and would be a good way to learn. The baby blankets were going to be more of a challenge.

She started at the beginning, from taking the yarn off the skein and rolling it into a yarn ball to putting it onto a needle and  actually beginning to knit. For me, just holding one knitting needle in each hand while at the same time trying to control the yarn was difficult. The metal needles were slippery and kept sliding through the loops of yarn onto my lap.

Hope had to guide my hands as I tried to get the hang of it and loaned me a pair of plastic needles that seemed to help. After several weeks of patient instruction, the scarf, with fringe on each end, was completed.

It seemed like the dream of making something for my new grandbaby was going to take a long time because I was such a slow knitter and had to concentrate on each stitch.

But Hope continued to encourage me, meeting with me individually in addition to the knitting circle. It wasn’t by accident that she was named “Hope!”

The hardest part was when I found a mistake and had to unravel several stitches or rows. That was irritating. I really wanted to get on to making things for the baby. Sorry to say, our grandson, Nate, was almost a year and a half old without ever having received a baby blanket from me.

Eventually I was able to knit more independently, but kept in touch with Hope for guidance. When Shanda announced that she was expecting again, I decided to switch my focus to the new baby. This time I thought it would be easier to try making a sweater instead of a blanket.

Now that was a new challenge! Baby Elliot was almost two by the time his multicolored sweater was finished. Thank goodness it wasn’t too small for him!

Eventually I decided to focus on writing and put aside the knitting needles. When it came time to move to Michigan, I considered giving all of my supplies away, but ended up shipping them eastward with all of the rest of our belongings.

Fast forward from the time I first learned how to knit when Nate was a baby to December 2022. Nate is now 13 and his brother almost 11.

  Due to health reasons, Shanda will be having more time at home. One day I happened to ask if she would like to learn how to crochet, knit, cross stitch or maybe macrame…

 Imagine my surprise when she responded without hesitation,

“I’d like to learn how to knit! I want to knit baby blankets for future grandchildren!”

Of course, how could I not volunteer to teach her how to knit? And that is what we are doing…one stitch at a time.

Isn’t it wonderful how God prepares us in advance for the things will that come along in the future? Isn’t it grand how He puts the desire in our hearts and then brings it to fruition? Our God is amazing!

“Oh, the depths of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgements, and his paths beyond tracing out!” (Romans 11:33 NIV)

*Psalm 139: 1, 13 NIV





Comments

Popular Posts