A New Twist on Life in Michigan

   Being newly ‘transplanted’ in Michigan from California, Al and I have appreciated the recent gift of relatively mild weather. One morning last week, I sat out in our backyard enjoying the sunshine for about an hour while the dogs happily explored their new setting. When it was time to go into the house, I didn’t notice that one of them was standing behind me and fell backwards over him, landing on the concrete driveway. My left hip took the full impact of the blow.
   It didn’t take long to realize that the hip was most likely broken. Al wasn’t home at the time; however, I left a message for him on his cell phone before calling 911. While waiting for the ambulance, I dragged myself up the steps to the sun room in the back of the house. TJ and Teddy came right in with me and were calm, comforting companions during that time of crisis.
   After only a few minutes of waiting, a whole procession of police and EMTs came into the house. I got acquainted with the Michigan emergency health care system in a hurry! They put the dogs into our bedroom while lifting me on a stretcher and taking me to the emergency room of a nearby hospital by ambulance.
   On the way, the driver commented that a lot of calls were coming in at once. He thought it was due to so many people being outside, enjoying the nice weather. Well, that’s what happened to me!
   The whole story was told again to Al and my step-daughter, Shanda, when they met me in the ER. As it turned out, there was a fracture of the femur that needed to be addressed by surgery. We were relieved to hear the surgery would most likely be the next day and that it would be minimally invasive.
   Unfortunately, there were no rooms available in the orthopedic unit and I ended up lying on my back in a small cubicle in ER from mid-morning to late that night. Because of the influx of patients, about six of us were finally moved out into a hallway, where beds were lined up along one wall. Pain medication helped somewhat, but the time seemed to drag by, with no word about when or if the surgery was scheduled.
   Only one nurse attended those of us lying in the hall, an angel in disguise! She brought me hot tea, Jell-O and graham crackers, which tasted like a grand banquet after not eating or drinking anything all day. Around 4:00 a.m. I began feeling abandoned and hit a low point, maybe one of the lowest in my life.
    It was about six o’clock in the morning when the hallway nurse told me that she hadn’t received any information on a surgery time. How discouraging! But, just as she turned around, a loud voice asked, “Well, are you ready for surgery?” It was an orthopedic surgeon, arriving just in the nick of time!
    The surgery to repair the fracture only took about 45 minutes and involved inserting three screws into the broken femur. After it was over, there was a room available and plenty of good care to help with the recovery. I only had to spend three more nights in the hospital before being discharged to go home. God is faithful! Even in our lowest moments, He walks beside us. We aren’t alone!

“I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.’ The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.” Lamentations 3: 24-26 NIV 
PS. Home since Monday. Am now walking with a help of the walker & thanks to many prayers and lots of love!





Comments

Popular Posts