The Hint of Spring

   A couple of days prior to the official “first day of spring,” we had a steady snowstorm which covered the tinge of green on the grass and disappointed any hope of warmer weather. But, I’ll have to admit, it was spellbinding to watch the steady descent of large flakes through the living room window and nice to be indoors! There was a sense of peace that came with the gentle snow flurry.
   Gradually the street, sidewalks and yard were transformed into a scene reminiscent of winter, blanketed in white. The furry squirrels which inhabit our neighborhood were back to foraging for food, digging through the snow; and there was a surprise sighting of a doe bounding through the front yard, leaving her tracks behind. The dogs went crazy when they saw her through the window, reminding me instantly of the local herd of deer at our former home on Globe Drive in Springville!
   It wasn’t long, however, before the temperatures ‘soared’ to the low forties and the snow began to melt. Green grass reappeared along with many hardy bulbs in patches. Narcissus or something else? Evidently the previous owner or landscaper had taken time to plant dozens of bulbs to form a border around the lawn in the backyard. And they were all coming up just around the first day of spring!
   Many people have made the comment though that in Michigan, spring will take several tries before it decides to stick around for awhile and not to be surprised if the weather turns really cold or if there is more snow in the forecast. Al says there are lots of advances and retreats! But the bright new color of green is still giving me hope that yes, spring really is on the way.
   Just prior to the beginning of Lent, I decided that the best thing to give up would be my ‘self,’ wanting to surrender my life completely to the Lord and let Him show me areas that still needed to be turned over to Him. Little did I dream that I would break my left hip only a few days after Lent began. Suddenly, I was in the position of being helpless, depending upon Al and others for everything and having to wait patiently for the broken femur to heal.
   It was very difficult, especially letting go of areas over which I thought I had some control and trusting that the Lord would work things out in His way and in His own time. But, just like the falling of the snow, He has given me peace; and like the coming of spring, there is the promise that as I surrender my life to Christ, He will begin to change me. Hurray for spring, new growth and for the hope of new life in Christ!
   Easter is coming…let the transformation begin!
   Dear Father, Forgive us for those things we either cannot or will not surrender to you, for putting self before you. Thank you for the snow, for green grass growing underneath and the hope of new life in spite of cold, stormy weather.  Thank you for cleansing and purifying our hearts, for your mercy and marvelous grace. Please change us to be more like your precious son, Jesus. In His name we pray, Amen.

   “Who can say, ‘I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin’?” Proverbs 20:9 NIV

   “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4 NIV

Comments

Popular Posts