Into the New Year



      Since Al’s ankle surgery early in December, I have been the one doing all of the driving. The doctor’s orders were for him not to drive until he could put on his regular shoes and stand up without excess pain. Believe me, he is very motivated to resume driving! And of course, I would like it too, preferring to be chauffeured rather than to be the chauffeur.
       During this period of Al’s recovery, I decided to make one of my New Year’s resolutions that of becoming a better driver, probably way overdue after getting my license fifty years ago! Several trips between Springville and the Bay Area for his follow-up appointments have provided ample opportunities to do this.
       For one thing, there isn’t usually isn’t a lot of traffic on the roads around Springville, nothing like driving on busy freeways in urban areas. “Heavy traffic” is having six cars and a couple of gravel trucks ahead of us on Highway 190. Driving at high speeds on roads congested with trucks, cars, motorcycles and maintenance equipment can be nerve wracking to say the least.
      The trip north usually takes about five hours, which means long periods of time spent sitting in one position and concentrating on the road. No more knitting, cat naps or day dreaming. Classical music and the news prevent dozing.
      Al also has been very good at keeping me awake and involved in conversation, pointing out interesting scenery which I can only see out of the corner of my eye, enlightening me about the number of wheels on vehicles with three axles (which I’ve never thought much about before) and showing me how to identify the make of a car by the symbol on the back.
     He also reminded me about using the little inset in the top corner of the side view mirrors when I mentioned that the frames of my new sunglasses were wider than my old ones and prevented me from seeing cars that might be alongside on our left, when changing over to that lane. The smaller side view mirror allows me to see if the coast is clear before switching into the left lane. There is also one on the other side view mirror which does the same thing when we need to move to the right.
     Even so, I still use the turn indicator for several “blinks” to give advance notice and just to make sure… The thought of hitting someone on the blind side, or vice versa, is a scary one. Come to think of it, my resolution to become a better driver has turned into a prayer, asking the Lord for His wisdom, guidance and protection while on the road.
     The side view mirrors and turn indicators provide for some peace of mind; however there is a greater sense of peace and calm knowing that He is watching over us and is answering my “driving” prayer.
      No matter where our journeys may take us in the coming year, dear friends, may we know the peace of His presence. May this blessing become a reality in our lives: “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26 NIV
(published in the Porterville Recorder 1-4-13)
    


Comments

Popular Posts